Is medical blogging doomed?

3

Category : Medical Rants

Saturday marks my 5th year blogaversary. I probably will not blog that day, as I am going out of town to celebrate a happy occasion.

Several blogs have pronounced doom for medical blogging – Medical blogging and the tragedy of the commons and Black Wednesday: A dark day for the medical blogosphere. These two rants could cause sadness and angst. However, I believe they miss the point entirely.

The best blogging still champions ideas. I now need to blog to explore my philosophy on many medical issues. As I have written before, blogging represents the same concept as the soapboxes in Hyde Park.

I occasionally do blog about patients who I have seen, or who have been presented at morning report. I go to significant lengths to mask identification.

My patient presentations focus on important lessons that I have learned, and that I think readers will find interesting. I do not blog about their personal quirks or issues of personal sensitivity.

Medical blogs will continue. I will not stop blogging. We have much to say and discuss.

Common sense must always prevail. One should never blog about a patient in such a way that you would be embarrassed for a colleague or any patient to read your entry.

But ideas are my major impetus for blogging. This blog will continue as an outlet for my ongoing understanding of our health care system, what it means to be an internist, and how we can improve health care.

Thanks for reading.

viagra
free viagra
buy viagra online
generic viagra
how does viagra work
cheap viagra
buy viagra
buy viagra online inurl
viagra 6 free samples
viagra online
viagra for women
viagra side effects
female viagra
natural viagra
online viagra
cheapest viagra prices
herbal viagra
alternative to viagra
buy generic viagra
purchase viagra online
free viagra without prescription
viagra attorneys
free viagra samples before buying
buy generic viagra cheap
viagra uk
generic viagra online
try viagra for free
generic viagra from india
fda approves viagra
free viagra sample
what is better viagra or levitra
discount generic viagra online
viagra cialis levitra
viagra dosage
viagra cheap
viagra on line
best price for viagra
free sample pack of viagra
viagra generic
viagra without prescription
discount viagra
gay viagra
mail order viagra
viagra inurl
generic viagra online paypal
generic viagra overnight
generic viagra online pharmacy
generic viagra uk
buy cheap viagra online uk
suppliers of viagra
how long does viagra last
viagra sex
generic viagra soft tabs
generic viagra 100mg
buy viagra onli
generic viagra online without prescription
viagra energy drink
cheapest uk supplier viagra
viagra cialis
generic viagra safe
viagra professional
viagra sales
viagra free trial pack
viagra lawyers
over the counter viagra
best price for generic viagra
viagra jokes
buying viagra
viagra samples
viagra sample
cialis
generic cialis
cheapest cialis
buy cialis online
buying generic cialis
cialis for order
what are the side effects of cialis
buy generic cialis
what is the generic name for cialis
cheap cialis
cialis online
buy cialis
cialis side effects
how long does cialis last
cialis forum
cialis lawyer ohio
cialis attorneys
cialis attorney columbus
cialis injury lawyer ohio
cialis injury attorney ohio
cialis injury lawyer columbus
prices cialis
cialis lawyers
viagra cialis levitra
cialis lawyer columbus
online generic cialis
daily cialis
cialis injury attorney columbus
cialis attorney ohio
cialis cost
cialis professional
cialis super active
how does cialis work
what does cialis look like
cialis drug
viagra cialis
cialis to buy new zealand
cialis without prescription
free cialis
cialis soft tabs
discount cialis
cialis generic
generic cialis from india
cheap cialis sale online
cialis daily
cialis reviews
cialis generico
how can i take cialis
cheap cialis si
cialis vs viagra
levitra
generic levitra
levitra attorneys
what is better viagra or levitra
viagra cialis levitra
levitra side effects
buy levitra
levitra online
levitra dangers
how does levitra work
levitra lawyers
what is the difference between levitra and viagra
levitra versus viagra
which works better viagra or levitra
buy levitra and overnight shipping
levitra vs viagra
canidan pharmacies levitra
how long does levitra last
viagra cialis levitra
levitra acheter
comprare levitra
levitra ohne rezept
levitra 20mg
levitra senza ricetta
cheapest generic levitra
levitra compra
cheap levitra
levitra overnight
levitra generika
levitra kaufen

Comments (3)

We cannot underestimate the importance of the blogs. I am always surprised at the number of doctors who want to control the flow of information and the debate. Pharma has a vested interest in controlling the debate.

Blogs have changed in the time I have been reading. The writing is sharper. The issues larger, and the depth of knowledge greater. Everything now moves at blog speed.

Let’s hope, those who can no longer blog, are able to return, and those blogs that exist continue their constant improvement.

Steve Lucas

It seems to me that all of this about “patient privacy” is more about shielding incompetent hospital administrators. (Ok, it is redundant to say “incompetent” and “administrators” in most situations – no matter the industry.)

Truthfully, in my mind, if enough anonymizing of information is done, there really is little difference between the average single patient case study and the blog entry about that patient except it is more accessible to the general public. This leads me to believe that this is more about information control than any “privacy” concerns. (Oh, and I have read “case studies.”)

The truth is, for the appropriate patient communities these blogs are 100x more educational than the official sites of WebMD or such. Why? Because people relate to individuals better than they do the so-called patient literature they are given. (Really written in a manner to prevent lawsuits.)

I also strongly believe that it helps dispell the myth of doctor as god. I think that that is something that must go away if you want people to stop insisting on expecting perfection. I belong to two patient communities at the moment, one that is used to doctors not getting it (food allergies) and one that has false expectations of the medical profession (infertility – don’t blog about this).

No one in the food allergy community has the idea that doctors know everything. The good doctors admit they don’t know everything. We (food allergy patients) don’t expect non-allergists / radiologists (aka super paranoid doctors) to always get it, we know, while wishing we didn’t, that the majority of medical professionals will never deal with a patient like us. (Under 1% of the population.)

Now, the infertility community is different. These men and women seem to think that the doctors are going to have the answer. That the doctor and his staff are always going to get it right. Um… doctors and their staffs are human beings just like everyone else. And the science in reproductive medicine is really very new. I sometimes feel like I’m the only person who understood the 30% chance we were given meant that 70% of the time there is failure – and often the doctors have no idea why.

Unfortunately, there are a number of doctors blogging (and practicing) who are affronted when their own fallible human nature is pointed out. They do serve a purpose in showing some naive patients that, guess what, the doctor is just like you except he knows more about medicine. He is an expert in his field just like you may be an expert in your field.

Blogging helps tear down that curtain where the wizard hides and that is a threat to some medical professionals and industries. Personally, I think it helps get people out of the “if he doesn’t get it right or makes a mistake, then he should be sued” mentality.

But, I’ve never related well to people who thought someone else had all the answers.

Pax,

MLO

[…] all due honour Dr. Eleazu, and other venerable blogging colleagues, we consider it’s about time everybody zipped it. If we wanted to review unknown rants, we […]

Post a comment